Pregnancy may be one of the most important milestones in some womens’ lives. Pregnancy, or the producing and carrying of a future offspring, is considered an important medical condition that can come with its risks, and obvious benefits. Prior to any pregnancy, the healthy start is to have counseling on ways to improve your odds for a successful and healthy pregnancy.
Gynecologist of Manhattan Women’s Health & Wellness offer comprehensive Obstetrics & Gynecology care in NYC for women of all ages. At our obgyn clinic we provide a full range of gynecology services, from annual check-ups and routine pap smears to prepregnancy counseling and gyn procedures, surgeries performed in our office or in the hospital. Our state of the art gynecology NYC facility equipped with the latest obgyn equipment.
Nutrition in pregnancy
A healthy pregnancy begins months before conception
While during the first trimester, your body does not require a significant increase in caloric intake to initiate a pregnancy, however as your pregnancy continues, the caloric intake for maintaining a healthy pregnancy also progresses. For this reason, it is important to evaluate your current nutritional status, diet, food allergies, and eating habits, prior to pregnancy, to decrease any potential bad outcomes in pregnancy due to nutritional deficits. Certain diets such as Veganism or vegetarianism may require additional nutrient supplementation during pregnancy to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Additionally, several important vitamins and minerals are needed for pregnancy. Some of these recommended by the CDC include but are not limited to:
- Folic Acid – helps prevent neural tube defects like spina bifida
- Iron – helps promote oxygen transport and healthy blood levels
- Vitamin D – helps build bone
- Calcium – helps build bone in conjunction with vitamin D
- B6 – helps with energy levels and may help prevent nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
- B12 – helps promote energy, metabolism, and healthy blood levels
- Other vitamins such as DHA (especially in lactating women) and Vitamin A, E and several other minerals have also been shown to be beneficial in pregnancy
Discussion of Medical History
Early ultrasounds can prove indispensable in detecting abnormalities before and during early early pregnancy
Identifying medical concerns such as pre existing diseases prior to pregnancy is crucial to proceeding with a health pregnancy. Diseases such as diabetes and hypertension (high blood pressure) may need to be optimized prior to conceiving for the best chance at a successful pregnancy, whether it be even facilitating conception, to maintain and carrying to term. A full history and physician is important especially for these reasons. Your gynecologist at Midtown gynecology clinic will also discuss your uterine and ovulatory health, especially if you have a history of abnormal bleeding, which can sometimes mean you may have a disturbance in the uterus such as fibroids or polyps that can lead to miscarriages or inability to become pregnant. Ultrasounds can be helpful in identifying these issues.
Taking a list of current medications and discussing which medications are considered safe in pregnancy is very important. Many medications can lead to birth defects, some even if taken during the time a woman is pregnant, but has not yet missed her menses. Some medication that may not be safe to take at different portions of pregnancy can include but are certainly not limited to:
- Pepto-Bismol, or Bismuth subsalicylate
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
- Medications with Guaifenesin, phenylephrine, or pseudoephedrine (cold medications)
- ACE Inhibitors such as lisinopril
- Accutane for acne
- Valproic acid, a medication commonly used for preventing seizures
- Doxycycline, tetracycline, chloramphenicol, aminoglycosides common antibiotics
- Warfarin for prevention of blood clots
- Lithium a medication used for psychiatric disorders
- Paroxetine a medication used for depression
- Xanax, Alprazolam, used for anxiety
Genetic condition screening should always be offered to women attempting to become pregnant as this can reduce the risk for miscarriages and potential help in receiving an early referral to a facility that deals with the specific or underlying genetic disorder.
Immunization status, recent travel, sexually transmitted diseases, and healthy weight are also portions of the exam that your New York City gynecologist may discuss with you when trying for the best outcome in pregnancy.
Important Reminder: This information is only intended to provide gynecology guidance, not definitive medical advice. Please consult OBGYN doctor about your specific condition. Only a trained, experienced gynecologist or certified gynecology specialist can determine an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.
Have questions about Pre-pregnancy Counseling? Schedule an appointment with the best OBGYN in Manhattan, New York, Dr. Fernando Mariz by calling our office today.
Manhattan Specialty Care in the Press In The Press
Call now to make an appointment with our highly rated Manhattan Gynecology doctors regarding your health. We look forward to seeing you!book online now (212) 378-9987
(212) 427-8761 Manhattan Women's Health & Wellness (Midtown) 51 East 25th Street Ste 407, NY 10010
(212) 427-8761 Manhattan Women's Health & Wellness (Union Square) 55 W 17th St Ste 102, NY 10011